Cardiovascular and Medical Sonography Information Session
- To provide you with an introduction to the profession of Sonography and of the admission
and program requirements at CCC&TI. It is not intended to answer all of your questions but
to provide you with some baseline information as you inquire about this field of study.
Are you interested in a career that offers you:
- Job Security
- Excellent Compensation
- Career Advancement
- And the ability to help others???
Then a career as a sonographer may be for you!!
What do sonographers do?
- Sonographers image internal body structures using high frequency sound waves.
- Cardiovascular sonographers use sound waves to image the adult heart and vascular structures.
- Medical sonographers use sound waves to image abdominal structures, female pelvic structures,
The duties of a sonographer may include:
- Assisting patients
- Communicating with other health professionals including physicians
- Obtaining a patient’s medical history
- Performing diagnostic quality sonograms
- Cleaning equipment and stocking supplies
Sonographers will see blood, body fluids and assist the physician with procedures
Role of a sonographer in the health care team
- The sonographer is a dependent health care provider.
- The sonographer does NOT diagnose or treat disease.
Physical requirements of a sonographer
- Lift more than 50 pounds routinely.
- Push and pull routinely.
- Bend and stoop routinely.
- Have full use of both hands, wrists and shoulders.
- Distinguish audible sounds.
- Adequately view sonograms, including color distinctions.
- Work standing on their feet 80% of the time.
- Interact compassionately and effectively with the sick or injured.
- Assist patients on and off examining tables.
- Communicate effectively with patients and other health care professionals.
- Organize and accurately perform the individual steps in a sonographic procedure in the
Cardiovascular and Medical Sonography Programs
MAR (Minimum Admissions Requirement) Review
- Are both 21 month programs.
- Award an Associate in Applied Science degree at graduation.
- Both curriculums consist of didactic, lab, and clinical components.
- Both programs begin in August each year with the Fall semester.
Clinical Sites for Clinical Education
- A wide variety of clinical sites are utilized by both programs.
- Clinical sites are located in:
- Greenville, SC.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening
- All sonography students will be required to have a criminal background check (CBC) and
a yearly drug screen.
- CCC&TI designates what company will perform the CBC and drug screens.
- The cost is approximately $150.00 for both.
- Some clinical sites will require additional drug screens to attend clinical which will be
an additional cost to the sonography student.
- The majority of sonographers are employed in hospitals. The others are employed in
imaging centers, physician offices, mobile services, education, and research.
- Graduates of the sonography programs earn between $20.00 and $23.00 per hour on average.
- The Cardiovascular and Medical Sonography programs are fully accredited through the
Joint Review Committee on Education in Medical Sonography
American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Medical Sonography program graduates may be eligible for examinations administered by the
American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
- Cardiovascular Sonography program graduates may be eligible for examinations administered
by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
Cardiovascular Credentialing International
- Graduates of the Cardiovascular Sonography program may be eligible for examination
administered by the Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
- A legal conviction of any type may result in a graduate being ineligible to become a
registered sonographer through the ARDMS.
- If you have any questions, please contact the ARDMS at 800-541-9754.
- For Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) applicants with questions regarding
personal criminal matters may request a pre-application to determine if they qualify for
the CCI credentialing process.
- If you have any questions, please contact the CCI at 800-326-0268 or
- Graduates of the Cardiovascular Sonography program may be eligible for examinations in:
- Sonographic Principles and Instrumentation
- Adult Echo
- Upon successful completion of both exams, the graduate is a Registered Diagnostic
Cardiac Sonographer and may use the initials RDCS after
- Graduates of the Cardiovascular Sonography program may be eligible for examination in:
- Registered Cardiac Sonographer requires:
one-part Non-Invasive/ Echocardiography Registry Examination from the CCI.
- Upon successful completion of the exam, the graduate is a Registered Cardiac Sonographer and
may use the initials RCS after their name.
- Graduates of the Medical Sonography program may be eligible to take the ARDMS examinations in:
- Sonographic Principles and Instrumentation (SPI)
- Upon successful completion of the SPI exam and either Abdomen and/or OB/GYN, the graduate
may use the initials RDMS after their name.
- CCC&TI Application
- High School Transcript or High School Equivalency
- College Transcripts (if applicable)
- Sonography Information Session (return questionnaire)
- Completion of a four-hour clinical site visit (scheduled by Student Services)
- Interview with either the Program Director 828.726.2322) or the Clinical Coordinator
- Pre-requisite courses
- The following courses must be completed with a minimum grade of ‘C’ before acceptance
into either the Cardiovascular Sonography Program or the Medical Sonography Program:
- ACA 115 - Success & Study Skills
- BIO 163 - Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- ENG 111 - Writing and Inquiry
- MAT 121 - Algebra/Trigonometry I
- PHY 110 - Conceptual Physics
- PHY 110A - Conceptual Physics Lab
- Contact the Health Sciences Admissions Office after completing all 8 admissions steps to
schedule a MAR Review. The contacts are as follows:
- Please check with Student Services as some courses may transfer for the required
General Education/Related courses.
- Approximately 8 - 10 students are accepted into the Medical Sonography Program each year.
- Approximately 7 - 9 students are accepted into the Cardiovascular Sonography Program
- The sonography programs at CCC&TI accept students with a first come, first serve process.
Information regarding financial aid resources can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office
To receive credit for the completion of this information session, please complete the Information
Session Quiz at:
When you complete the exam, the results will be emailed to Ruthie Price