Notary Public Education provides individuals with the opportunity to become or renew their
standing as a Notary with the state of North Carolina. This course of study meets the state
guidelines for instruction.
Students will take the exam on at the end of this class. Once you have completed the course, you will send a completed
application to the Secretary of State for an additional $50.00. You will then receive a letter from the Secretary of
State directing you to go to the Register of Deeds to be sworn in as a notary. There is a fee of $10.00 for the
Register of Deeds.
In accordance with the North Carolina Community College System, tuition for this occupational
extension continuing education course is $71.
Qualification requirements to become a notary are the following:
- Must be 18 years of age or legally emancipated
- Reside or work in North Carolina
- Complete a 6 hour notary Public class sponsored by a community college
- Purchase a Notary guide book. Presently the 2016 - 11th edition is current
- Submit an application and a non-refundable $50.00 to NC Department of Secretary of State
- Have never been convicted of corruption or malpractice in any other office.
- Have never been removed from an office by impeachment
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Speak, read and write English
- Be a legal resident of the United States or possess a Permanent Resident card
- You must be on time to class
*If you have been convicted of a felony you must have completed all probation at least 10 years prior to applying
for a notary commission.
*If you are currently on probation for anything regardless if it is a felony or misdemeanor you do not qualify to
be a Notary Public. You must have completed all probation at least 10 years prior to applying for a
* If you are looking to recertify, your commission can be expired up to 1 year before being required to retake
or take the class.
For more information please contact:
The Notary Public Section North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 29626
Raleigh, North Carolina 27626-0626
Phone Number: 919-807-2219
Contact Continuing Education and Workforce Development Department Monday - Thursday 8 am - 8 pm and Friday,
8 am - 5 pm at (828) 726-2242 or contact Brandy Dunlap, Director/Instructor, Career and Health Services at (828) 726-2225 email at