BioWork is a 128-hour introductory course bringing together the basics of manufacturing and the fundamentals of science – two essentials for competent, entry-level technicians in biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and chemical manufacturing.
For more information about North Carolina Biotechnology, visit: http://www.ncbiotech.org/biotechnology_in_nc/stateofmindsfinal.pdf
BioWork-certified graduates enter the work force ready to learn company operations and tasks. They are primed with knowledge and will be eager to begin their on-the-job training. Equipped with BioWork knowledge and skills, they are prepared to:
- Read a process diagram
- Use the metric system for measurements and conversions
- Adjust pH
- Read gauges
- Make chemical solutions, including w/w%, w/v%, and v/v%
- Prepare growth media
- Comply with cGMP
- Follow an SOP
- Complete a batch record
- Calculate formulas
- Work with chemicals
- Read and understand a MSDS
- Use laboratory glassware correctly, including pipettes, beakers, flasks, volumetric flasks
Earnings vary based on skill and experience, but the average salary is $13-$ 15 per hour.
- Bioprocess Manufacturing Technician
- Aseptic Manufacturing Technician
- Manufacturing Preparation Technician
- Formulation and Fill Technician
- Packaging Technician
- Process Technician
- Manufacturing Associate
- Chemical Equipment Operator
- Chemical Plant and System Operator
- The BioWork registration fee is $175 to include registration, textbook, and supplies.
- The fee must be paid on the day of registration.
- Must have a high school diploma or High School Equivalency
- Prospective students must take a placement exam to determine math and reading levels