Financial Aid Checklist
- Complete the
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
as soon as possible after January 1 of the current year you intend to enroll in
college. You can either mail a paper application or apply on-line. Be accurate and
complete. Obtain all required signatures. Keep materials used to complete the FAFSA
such as worksheets and tax forms. Do not send any materials with the FAFSA, if you
are mailing the paper form.
- Complete any other required financial aid form(s) from the college(s) of your choice.
Meet all DEADLINES! Applications for federal student aid at Caldwell Community
College and Technical Community College should be submitted no later than June 1
each year to ensure completion of process for Fall Semester. Applications submitted
after June 1 will be processed; however, funding for many programs is limited.
Students who apply after June 1 may find most funds already obligated.
- Apply for admission to the college(s) of your choice. This is a separate process
from applying for financial aid. Admissions application deadlines and financial
aid application deadlines are usually different. Financial aid cannot be disbursed
until you are approved for admission to a college.
- Determine the costs of attending the college(s): tuition and fees, room and board,
books and supplies, transportation, personal and miscellaneous expenses. Don't rule
out a college choice just because of cost.
- Explore all possible sources of aid such as federal, state, college, local civic
organizations, your church, and place of employment. Visit your local library and
check out the Scholarship and Financial Aid Resource Books. Search the Internet for
possible sources of assistance.
- College financial aid offices and high school guidance offices are excellent
sources of information.
- Respond to all requests for information quickly and completely.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) about 4 weeks after you send the FAFSA
to the processing center. When you receive your SAR, read it carefully and follow
the instructions. If you need duplicates, call 1-800-4-FED-AID.
- When you receive a written offer of financial aid, read it, understand what you are
being offered, and respond to the college or agency by the deadline.
- If you feel you have any unusual circumstances, contact the financial aid office at
- Remember - know the conditions to continue receiving financial aid
after the first year. You must file the FAFSA or the Renewal FAFSA to apply for
federal financial aid each year, and you may need to complete other required forms
each year as well.