This course is designed to prepare the student for the certification examination required
for the North Carolina licensure application process. Through class work and practical
“hands-on” training, students obtain a solid foundation for professional practice as an
entry level Massage Therapist. Upon successful completion of the course, the student is
eligible to sit for the certification exam and apply for state licensure in North Carolina.
Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist -> Athletic Trainer -> Exercise Physiologists ->
Physical Therapist Assistants & Aides -> Physical Therapist
- Advanced Stretching
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Body Mechanics
- Certification Exam Prep
- Chair Massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Documentation and Assessment
- Hygiene and Standard Precautions
- Indications and Contraindications
- Joint Mobility
- NC Board Meeting
- NC Laws and Rules
- Oriental Theory
- Orthopaedic Assessment
- Somatic psychology
- Special Populations
- Sports/Orthopedic Massage
- Stone massage
- Student Clinics
- Swedish Massage
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Wellness and Self Care
- 2020 - Day Program (Watauga Campus)...July 6, 2020 - December 15, 2020
- Classes are held Monday - Friday
- Class meets from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm with 1 hour for lunch.
Estimated Hourly Earnings for Massage Therapist
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics website
www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes319011.htm), current mean annual wage is $44,950.
- Chiropractic offices
- Home care agencies
- Medical offices
- Retirement homes
Department of Labor Standard Occupational Code (SOC): 31-9011
Licensure: Authorization granted to CCC&TI to provide instruction within another state does
not imply or provide guarantees of any kind that an individual will be granted professional licensure
by another state as a result of completing coursework at CCC&TI or receiving professional licensure
in North Carolina. It is the sole responsibility of the individual/student to determine whether another
college or license-awarding agency in another state will accept CCC&TI coursework and/or award
licensure through a reciprocity agreement with the State of North Carolina.
Massage Therapy registration fee
Professional massage table (approximately)
To inquire about assistance for Continuing Education students, please call Sara Greene at 828.726.2242.
- Introduction to Health Services
- Completed admission packet
- Mandatory orientation session
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency
- Official Transcripts showing highest education level attained
- Applicants should request colleges mail official transcripts directly to their home
address. Transcripts must remain sealed and returned in the completed application packet.
If currently enrolled in another college, those transcripts should be mailed at the
completion of coursework also.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Social Security card – name must match government issued photo ID
- Government issued photo ID – name must match Social Security card
- Malpractice insurance
- Proof of childhood immunizations:
- Records may be obtained from the last school attended or current/past health care
providers and must include:
- DPT (3-5 doses)
- Td (tetanus) / Tdap (1 every 10 years)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) (2 doses/ positive blood titer)
- Influenza (flu) (1 dose annually)
- Varicella (chicken pox) (2 doses or blood titer=/>1.09)
- Tuberculin /TB skin test (TST) (current result w/negative reading of
</= 15 mm induration / proof of negative CXR within 6 months)
- Hepatitis B series (3 doses) OR Declination
- Certification of Fitness to Attend Massage School
- This form must be signed by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician's
assistant attesting to the student's physical and mental well-being.
Students, who successfully complete Massage Therapy training at CCC&TI, will receive three (3)
points toward admission into the Physical Therapy Assistant program at CCC&TI.
Massage Therapy Process:
- Download admission packet from website
- Complete packet mail to massage coordinator
- Call 828-726-2242 to schedule Health Service Orientation
- Massage Coordinator will check admission packet for completion…then if the packet is complete
the coordinator will contact you to let you know you have been accepted into the program
- At this point you can register for the class
- After paying for registration your spot is saved
- If you are interested in financial aid…you will need to contact Sara Greene at 726-2242. Please
be sure to start this process early, because the process takes longer.
To Register for the Massage Therapy Course
Admission packets can be downloaded from the website at:
OR may be pick up in Continuing Education and Workforce Development, located on the south end of
the Caldwell campus, Faye A. Broyhill building, Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and
Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Detailed information and necessary forms are included in the packet.
Text book list will be provided on the first day of Career Pathways.
Is massage therapy training required to become licensed in North Carolina?
Yes. The North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy (NCBMBT) requires an applicant
to successfully complete a state approved training program consisting of a minimum 500 in-class
Once I complete the course, how do I become licensed?
To obtain a license application packet, download the "Application Request Form" located in
the Document Center on the Board website at www.bmbt.org.
Once completed, the form is to be mailed to the Board with a $20 application fee.
You are also required to pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) in order to be
considered for licensure in North Carolina.
What paperwork is required for the MBLEx?
A completed application form and fee payment is required. No transcripts or letters are required.
Should I send transcripts to the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) to apply to sit
for the exam?
No, CCC&TI will provide education records to FSTMB; however you must submit them to apply for
What is the MBLEx application processing time?
Once your application is received, you will be notified by email within seven days.
You will receive your Notice to Schedule; you will be allowed 90 days in which to take the exam.
How much does the MBLEx cost?
What websites can I go to for additional information?
North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy at
Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards at www.FSMTB.org
For additional information, contact