Caldwell County Even Start Family Literacy
Become a partner in learning with your child!
The Caldwell County Even Start Family Literacy Program enables parents and children ages 6 weeks to 8 years to learn together in both joint and separate classes. GED, English as a Second Language, parenting and life skills instruction for parents, and preschool and school enhancement activities for children are provided in Family Literacy classes.
Applicants must meet criteria for Even Start Family Literacy classes. Classes and materials are free, and transportation and lunch are provided.To register or for more information, call (828) 757-8632 or 726-2230.
The Caldwell County Even Start Family Literacy Program is designed for parents and their children to learn together through the integration of the following five components:
1. Adult Education
- Job skills
- Educational field trips
- Computer lab
- Improve reading, math, or communication skills
- English as a Second Language
- Qualified staff offers individualized instruction
2. Parent Education
- Topics suggested by participants include issues critical to the lives of the families
- Guest speakers
- Group activities
3. Parent and Child Together Time (PACT)
- One-on-one play between parent and child
- Build your child's self-esteem by following his or her interests and preferences
4. Early Childhood Education
- Provided for children ages 6 weeks to 7 years old
- Certified teaching staff works with children in a developmentally appropriate environment
5. Home Visits
- Instructors visit once a month
- Families receive the book of the month
- Participants talk individually with adult and early childhood teachers about individual issues and goals
Family Resource Center - Lenoir
Whitnel Four Seasons School - Whitnel
For more information, call Shari Brown at (828) 757-8632 ext. 17.