background image

Your Rights Under the N. C. Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

Provisions of House Bill 739 and Senate Bill 1161 (1995 Session of the General Assembly)

If you are pursuing the Associate in Art or Associate in Science degrees, you can expect the following when you transfer:

  1. If you transfer courses without completing the general education core: All courses, which are identified for transfer, will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis using the general education requirements of the university or college to which you are transferring. Transferable CCC&TI courses which do not meet a general education requirement of the university or college will be transferred as electives. (A listing of Electives for College Transfer Programs can be found in the CCC&TI Catalog.) It is important to note that the general education core for which you are held accountable will be that of the university and not CCC&TI's.

  2. If you complete the 44 SHC general education core: Completion of our 44 SHC general education core allows you to transfer with general education complete with the following exceptions:
    • You may be required to complete the university's physical education requirement as a junior or senior. These credits will be taken from your electives at the university.
    • You may need to take two semesters of a foreign language so as to meet the university's requirement if you did not do so in your general education core at CCC&TI it is, therefore, wise to take a foreign language as part of your CCC&TI humanities requirement in order to make sure that you will not have to do this at the university.
    • You may be required to take one or more upper division general education classes at the university. If you complete the 64 SHC Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree: Completion of either of these degrees gives you junior status and 64 transferable credits. That is important to you because many universities have 120 credit bachelor's degrees, and they require 50 percent of the work to be done there. By completing our degree they must, by law, transfer 64 and not 60 credits of the 120 credit hour bachelor's degree, leaving you with 56 credits to complete at the university.

The guidelines of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) are void if:

  1. You have transfer credit from a college/university that does not endorse the CAA
  2. You have credit based on quarter hours
  3. You are using CLEP credit as part of your degree program

If any of these exceptions apply to you, then your CCC&TI work will be evaluated on a course by-course basis, using the university or college's general education requirements.

It is important that you know your rights under the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement so that you can be sure you will receive the credits you deserve when you transfer! If you have questions while at CCC&TI or even after transferring to a College or University, please feel free to call CCC&TI's Academic Advising Center @ 828-726-2746.

Information Credited To: Dr. Dennis King, VP Student Services, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College