background image

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

Between the University of North Carolina and the North Carolina Community College System

What is the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement?

The North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between N. C. community colleges and N. C. public universities and has a its objective the smooth transfer of students. The board of Governors of the University of North Carolina and the N. C. State Board of Community Colleges has approved this agreement. The CAA provides certain assurance to the transferring student; for example the CAA identifies community college courses that are appropriate for transfer as electives. Courses that will satisfy pre-major and general education requirements are also specified. The most recent revision of the CAA occurred February 21, 2014. Students who started programs prior to this date should be sure to discuss pre-existing academic plans with an advisor.

North Carolina community college students who earn an associate's degree according to the guidelines of the CAA will be treated as juniors at the receiving UNC institution.

Students graduating from North Carolina community colleges under the guidelines of the CAA will have 60-semester hours of credit transferred to the UNC institution to which they are admitted. Because UNC institutions differ in their admission requirements, students intending to transfer should contact the UNC institution(s) of their choice to learn about specific admissions requirements.

What is a college transfer program?

A college transfer program is a set of courses that has been designed to transfer to most four-year colleges and universities in North Carolina. It represents the fundamental foundation for academic success. The set of courses includes a 31-34 semester hour Universal General Education Transfer Component and additional general education, pre-major, and elective courses that combine to earn either the Associate in Arts (A. A.) or the Associate in Science (A.S.) degree.

What is the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC)?

The latest revision of the CAA identifies a set of courses which are universally transferable to all UNC institutions as part of the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC). Some UGETC courses can be taken as part of the A. A. degree, while others are aligned with the A. S. degree. Still others will apply to both the A. A. and the A. S. If a student obtains a C or above in a UGETC course, then transferability of that specific course is guaranteed, regardless of whether or not the student completes the transfer degree.

The A. A. degree requires the following UGETC credits:

English Composition 6 S. H.
Humanities / Fine Arts 9 S. H.
Social / Behavioral Sciences  9 S. H.
Mathematics 3-4 S. H.
Natural Sciences 4 S. H.
Total UGETC 31-32 S. H.

Note: An additional 27-29 hours of general education electives and pre-major courses, plus ACA 122, are required to complete the A. A.

The A. S. degree requires the following UGETC credits:

English Composition 6 S. H.
Humanities / Fine Arts 6 S. H.
Social / Behavioral Sciences 6 S. H.
Mathematics 8 S. H.
Natural Sciences 8 S. H.
Total UGETC 34 S. H.

Note: An additional 25-26 hours of general education electives and pre-major courses, plus ACA 122, are required to complete the A. S.

Is it necessary to finish the UGETC courses or a degree before transferring to a university?

It is not necessary to complete either the UGETC courses or the degree before transferring. However, successful completion of the degree affords the student certain additional protections and benefits such as Transfer Assured Admissions eligibility. The UGETC courses will help satisfy General Education Requirements at the 16 NC public universities, but may not complete Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) for admission. Students planning to transfer to a senior institution without completing a transfer degree should consult heavily with CCC&TI's Academic Advising Center and with an admissions representative of the senior institution.

Is admission to a UNC institution guaranteed?

Yes, the CAA includes a Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP), which assures admission to at least one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations:

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or specific program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a NC community college with an A. A. or A. S. degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the CAA.
  • Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which they graduated, and a grade of "C" or better in all CAA courses.
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which they applied.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.

How do the UNC Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) apply to transfer students?

Transfer students will be considered to have satisfied the UNC Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) in effect at the time of their graduation from high school if they have:

  • received the A. A., the A. S., the baccalaureate or any higher degree, or
  • completed at least six semester hours in degree-credit in each of the following subjects: English, mathematics, the natural sciences, social/behavioral sciences, and (for students who graduate from high school in 2003-04 and beyond) a second language.

Does the CAA apply to private colleges and universities?

A number of NC private colleges and universities endorse the CAA. This list is constantly being updated. To verify an institution's acceptance of the CAA, you may contact the admissions office of the private institution or consult the North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities website.

What courses will transfer to UNC institutions?

The North Carolina Community College Combined Course Library lists courses that have been approved for transfer to the constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina. Transferring students must have earned a grade of "C" or better in a course in order to get transfer credit for the course.

See Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Appendix G for Transfer Course List

Will "D" or "F" grades transfer?

No, under the CAA, only courses in which a grade of "C" or higher is earned will transfer.

How many semester hours will transfer?

If a student transfers to a University of North Carolina institution under the statewide CAA, 60-61 semester hours will transfer. The student should consult an academic advisor since special program articulations may exist between community college and four-year colleges or universities in North Carolina or elsewhere that may permit the transfer of additional credit hours.

See Transfer Course List

Information Credited To: